- 1 cup whole wheat flour ((or sub out with white flour))
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Optional (but highly recommended)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan and preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, eggs, honey, brown sugar, applesauce, orange juice, and vegetable oil) in a medium sized bowl. Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Carefully fold in the chocolate chunks and be sure not to overmix the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Place the pan on a lower rack and bake for 55-60 minutes, covering the pan with aluminum foil halfway through baking. Don’t forget to do this or the top of your bread may burn or become too brown. You’ll want to start checking your bread at the 50-minute mark.
- Let bread cool for 15 minutes before serving.