- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 cups diced onions ((2 medium onions))
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- a dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- avocado, diced fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese, chips, lime, sour cream
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add 2-3 T oil or enough to evenly coat the bottom of the pot. Cook the garlic until fragrant.
- Then add the onions, bell peppers, zucchini and all the spices (chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, dried oregano and cayenne pepper). Mix until the vegetables are soft but still a bit crisp.
- Add 1 lb of the ground turkey and stir-fry until mostly brown but with a bit of pink remaining, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 pound and stir-fry until all the meat is fully brown and cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the dark red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato puree and mix slowly until all ingredients are incorporated, about 3o seconds. Add salt and pepper if needed. Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover the pot and let it simmer for an additional 1 hour.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite cornbread and toppings.
Note: This is a great freezer meal. Freeze up to 1 month.
Adapted from the basic chili recipe in the Complete America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook.