Why not use these muggy summer days as an excuse to make a sweet, refreshing drink? Easily made in 15 minutes, this sweet drink is both refreshing and light. It makes entertaining your guests easy and elevates a simple lemonade into a more sophisticated party drink for kids and adults alike. The hardest part will be washing the blueberries.
It makes you wish you were on a back patio swing somewhere, watching the sun set or reading a book on a serene beach with the sound of waves in the background. Luckily we’re in the thick of summer, so you don’t have to wait to make this a regular morning, afternoon, or evening drink. Cool off with a glass of this blueberry lemonade on your back deck or take it with you to the next family BBQ.
This fruity drink combines mint, lemon juice, club soda, and blueberries. It gets its herbal flavor from the mint and its sweetness from the pureed blueberries, which add a healthy high antioxidant count too. The club soda or sparkling water makes it fun for the kids.
Who doesn’t like a bit of fizz or sparkly in their drink?
And for those who planted mint in their backyards just to make mojitos, this is the recipe for you. Add some light rum to your glass to turn this bubbly into a good excuse to kickstart your weekend early.
Cheers to a cool and refreshing summer!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 mint leaves (or a handful)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemon juice (squeezed from 3–4 lemons (save half of one for garnishing))
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1 liter club soda or sparkling water
- Ice (optional)
- In a small pot, heat on medium low the sugar, water and mint leaves to make a syrup. Remove the mixture from the pot once the sugar has dissolved, and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a blender, blend the blueberries and lemon juice. Pour blueberry mixture through a fine sieve to remove any solids.
- Next, mix together the cooled sugar mixture with the blueberry juice. Add in 1 liter of the club soda or sparkling water and mix well. Add ice, if using.
- Serve with fresh lemon slices and garnish with extra mint leaves. Add more sugar or lemon juice to taste.